Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Table tennis is a loud sport

Why would you think that software engineers
  • are playful creatures and they enjoy all kind of fun activities while working (paradox: either you work or you enjoy fun activities :D)?
  • don't need a nice quite environment to do their work?
Apparently the interior designer who designed the new building our team was transferred into a couple of weeks ago, thought so. As a result there's a couple of ping pong tables in the middle of the building in a two story high hall.


Right next to the kitchen, full with coffee grinder, espresso machine, hot water machine, refrigerators filled with soda, coffee and snacks. So nobody would ever want to go there... Ever...

As I was moved from my office to a cube and I happen to sit very close to this recreational area, I happen to have my headphones on the whole day, but at least around noon and after 5pm... Can I sue the company years later if I develop hearing damage? ;-)

I understand that tech companies would like to tempt engineers with everything they've got, and many of them come up with the stupidest recreational solution, but at least separate these fun areas from the working quarters and yet have them still easily accessible. That would work.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment