Friday, May 4, 2012

#BritsOnIdol

This week on American Idol the theme was the 60's and Britpop.

I was quite disappointed: as I knew (and as Wikipedia states) "Britpop emerged from the British independent music scene of the early 1990s and was characterised by bands influenced by British guitar pop music of the 1960s and 1970s."

If we follow the 'definition' we should have seen Oasis, The Verve, Blur, Supergrass and so on. Just look up the Britpop musicians on Wikipedia! My problem was that I'm sooooo into Britpop, so I got all excited! For nothing...

According to them Britpop is Zombies (1961), Dusty Springfield (1964), Joe Cocker (1960) and Bee Gees (1960).

Either Parlophone is doing something awfully wrong, or the producers (who are British indeed!) don't know their own music culture.

And if you take today's or the last 10-15 year's music scene from the US and the UK and you compare them, UK is so winning! Here production companies are killing music, I guess. There's a pressure on producers from the labels to create new and new songs, but volume kills quality. While I believe overseas the old pattern is followed: performers are musicians.

I don't think Katy Perry counts as one... Who, by the way gave worse performance last week than many of the contestants who didn't even make it till Hollywood week on this show!

The other theme, the 60's me gusta :)

No comments:

Post a Comment